After being involved in a car accident, you will likely feel shocked, overwhelmed, and downright shaken, especially if you sustained serious injuries in the collision. While an accident in itself is enough to make anyone feel distressed, the problem is that the aftermath can be nearly as bad. Car accident victims are showered with requests and paperwork from insurance companies, law enforcement, and doctors. However, despite all the calls and exchanges, it often feels like everyone is looking out for their own interests rather than yours. Fielding through this situation on your own, during a time of extreme vulnerability, is not only difficult, but it could also potentially lead to some costly mistakes.
Below are some reasons why you need to hire an experienced personal injury attorney for your car accident case:
- Ability to assess claims: An experienced personal injury attorney has likely dealt with cases similar to yours and will be able to tell you from the get-go if pursuing legal action is worth your time. If it is, he or she will also be able to give you an estimate of what your claim is worth, which will be immensely helpful when the time comes to negotiate a settlement with the at-fault party’s insurance company.
- Contingency fees: Most reputable personal injury law firms operate on a contingency fee basis, which means that if your attorney does not win your case, you will not owe any legal fees. This essentially saves you from having to pay any fees up front. If your attorney is able to win your case, a previously agreed-upon percentage will be deducted from your compensation.
- Simplifying a complex process: Attorneys spend years honing their skills and expanding their knowledge regarding the law, giving them the ability to understand what it takes to navigate their way through complex legal procedures. Attempting to do this on your own will take more time and, even if you are being careful and thorough, you might still make mistakes, some of which are irreversible.
- Investigative team: When you hire an attorney, you are getting more than just their help, you are getting the assistance of a team of investigators who are experienced in specialized areas and are able to examine each facet of your case. This is a big advantage that you would not have if you were working on your own.
- Objectivity: You are likely frustrated, angry, in pain, and possibly even afraid, all of which can affect your judgment and ability to see things clearly. All of these feelings are natural and valid, but will not serve your personal injury case, which is why you need the objectivity of a personal injury attorney on your side. He or she will be able to examine the situation with clarity and help you make informed decisions rather than impulsive ones.
- Experience working with insurance companies: Speaking with an insurance company can be tricky. They tend to use tactics and methods that are designed to trick individuals into harming their own case and, oftentimes, they pressure victims into settling for unreasonably low sums. If you have an attorney, he or she can speak to the insurance company on your behalf and prevent you from being taken advantage of.
Car Accident Attorneys in Austin
If you were injured in a car accident that was caused by someone else’s negligent or reckless behavior, you have a right to pursue fair and just compensation. At the Lowenberg & Kumar Law Firm, our experienced team of personal injury attorneys is dedicated to providing trusted legal guidance and exceptional representation to recover the monetary damages you deserve.
Call our office today at (832) 241-6000 to schedule a free case evaluation with a knowledgeable member of our law firm.